Friday, March 11, 2011

On Deck

I don't know what it is about black and white that is drawing me in these days...well if I'm honest I think it's because I've fallen in love with Vivian Maier's recently discovered work. I've never seen anything like it before in my life, it pulls me in the way nothing has before.

Now let me clarify that in no way am i comparing myself to her...I will never be able to do what she did. However after seeing her work I find myself seeing things differently...the weathered face, the sleepy bus passenger, all a work of art and I'm left wondering.

If I were to take a picture on the bus today, in 30 years what from the picture would scream out "oh that was so 2011". She saw a scene and captured it on film...I see it it now as a glimpse back in time and I think that's part of why I fell head over heels for her stuff the instant I saw it.

I'll be honest, there are times when I look at her stuff and feel a bitter envy...why can't I do that?

The above picture was taken on a recent cruise and as you can tell, at night. I love the shot because of the desertion...not something you'd ever find around the pool during the day. There were times when I would wander up on deck, sit and stare up at the stars while listening to the waves crash against the ship...and feel oh so small. My moment in time.



For more images from this session check out caribbean

No comments:

Post a Comment